Ingredients for Homemade Gnocchi
1/2 cup mascarpone, room temperature
1 cup whole milk ricotta, rinsed
2 egg yolks
1 cup + 2 Tablespoon of all-purpose flour for dusting
1 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation for Gnocchi
- Take excess moisture of Ricotta cheese by using paper towels. Transfer into a large bowl.
- Add mascarpone, and eggs yolks. Beat at medium speed using a hand mixer till well combined and creamy.
- Incorporate flour, nutmeg, pecorino cheese, salt and pepper. Do not over mix dough. If it is too sticky add some extra flour.
- Prepare a large baking sheet pan with foil paper dusted with little flour. Using your hands form a log about 3/4 inches wide and cut into bite size gnocchi. Gently roll each gnocchi using your hands into an oval shape.
- Place oval shape gnocchi over floured dusted pan. Lightly dust and coat gnocchi with flour. Toss well.
- In salted boiling water cook gnocchi for about 5 to 6 minutes or until they float.
- Remove from water and toss with Vodka Sauce.
Ingredients for Vodka Sauce
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup lemon vodka or regular vodka
1-32 ounces can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup of vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation for Vodka Sauce
- Place olive oil and butter into a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic. Sate garlic for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper. cook sauce for 5 to 6 minutes. Add vodka and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add broth and bring the sauce to a simmer. Reduce heat and add cream. Stir until sauce thickened, has turned pink and creamy. Toss gnocchi with warm sauce.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and grated Pecorino Romano Cheese. A drizzle of Extra Virgin olive oil will add an extra nutty flavor. Enjoy!