Authentic Lebanese Rice and meat dish perfumed with original warm spices. Perfect for any celebration!
Ingredients for Pulled Beef or Lamb with Rice
4 lb. chuck roast (boneless), cut in thick pieces
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
2 bay leaves
8 cups of water, for meat
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 cardamon pods
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup blanched toasted almond halves
1/2 cup green raisins
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 teaspoon seven spice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
2 1/2 cups basmati rice
Preparation for the Pulled Beef or Lamb
- Clean your meat under cold water. Pat dry with towel paper. Transfer meat to a large pot when they can lay flat. Cover pot with 8 cups of water.
- Cook over medium-high heat. Remove the scum out when it starts boiling. Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon, cumin, cardamon pods, minced garlic, red wine vinegar, and bay leaves.
- Cover pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 3 to 4 hours until meat is completely tender.
- Remove meat from broth. Put broth aside. Use two forks to shred meat. Set aside.
Preparation for the Rice
- Heat the butter and olive oil on low and add slivered almonds till golden brown. Remove and set aside. Add 2 1/2 cups of rice to the same pot and toast for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 1/2 cups of leftover meat broth. and raise heat to high. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and seven spice. Stir.
- Once it starts to boil, lower the heat. Cover the pot. Simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked pulled meat to a center of a platter.
- Fluff the rice while warm and place it around the pulled meat.
- Sprinkle toasted almonds, dried cranberries, and raisins around meat over rice.