Super easy, nutritious, and delicious Vegetarian soup. Great source of fiber, vitamin B and Iron. Warm your soul up!
2 Tablespoon avocado oil
1 large onion, medium diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups brown organic lentils, well rinsed and cleaned
3 cups of fresh or frozen spinach, roughly chopped
1/2 cup of fresh mint, finely chopped
8 cups organic vegetable broth, low sodium
1 cup water
1 bay leaf
1-2 juice of lemon
1 Tablespoon cumin, ground
1 Tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked fresh black pepper, ground
1 handful of rice
- Preheat a large pot on medium-high heat. Sauté onions in the avocado oil until soften and caramelized for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add well cleaned lentils and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes. Mix in well, and add cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable broth ,water, and bay leaf. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, cover and cook for 45 to 50 minutes and let it simmer at low heat until lentils are soft and tender.
- Add spinach, fresh mint and lemon juice. Cook for another 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Incorporate rice and let it cook for about 15 minutes, it will help thickened the soup.
- Serve warm and garnish with lemon. Enjoy!