3 cups organic bread flour
1 cup organic whole wheat flour
2 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tablespoon instant yeast
1 Tablespoon honey or barley malt
1 teaspoon salt
1 gal water
1/4 cup honey
1 ounce baking soda
sesame, poppy, caraway seeds
- Using a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment combine all ingredients. Mix in low speed for about 2 to 3 minutes to blend all ingredients.
- Increase speed to medium and knead in machine for about 8 to 10 minutes until dough is smooth but firm.
- Place dough on an unfloured workbench area. Cover and ferment for about 30 to 35 minutes with a damp towel. Flatten dough into a rectangle.
4. Cut the rectangle shaped dough into 5-6 inches wide strips, Divide each strip of dough into 4 ounces pieces. Use a scale.
5. Roll each strip of dough over a surface and then wrap dough around one hand to form the bagel. Place them over a parchment paper lined sheet pan.
6. Let shaped bagels proof for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile prepare poaching liquid by combining barley malt or honey, water and baking soda in a large wide pot. Bring it to a boil and lower the heat just before adding the bagel to the poaching liquid. Four to Five bagels at once. Leave bagels in poaching water for about 1 minute on each side. Continue poaching rest of bagels.
7. Remove bagels from poaching liquid using a slotted spoon, and place them on paper lined sheet pan. Sprinkle with your desired toppings.
8. Place bagels into a prepared paper lined baking sheet and bake on a preheated 450 grades Fahrenheit oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!