Tender Pork shoulder soaked in a citrusy marinade, a combination of oranges and lime. Cooked covered in an unglazed natural Clay Pot, that produces more steam and elevates the concentration of flavors.
4 pounds pork shoulder (Bone-in)
10 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cups fresh orange juice
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1/2 cup springs fresh oregano leaves
1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon cumin, ground
1 Tablespoon garlic, ground
1 Tablespoon Annato (achiote)spice
1 teaspoon cloves, ground
1 teaspoon parsley, dried
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Teaspoon black ground pepper
- Using a mortar or using a food processor, smash garlic, cilantro, and mint leaves with a 1/3 teaspoon salt until it becomes a paste.
- In a plastic bag combine olive oil, orange juice, lime juice oregano, ground cloves, cumin, dried parsley, annatto, salt and pepper and mix it up. Add pork in.
- Place marinated pork over a dish into the refrigerator overnight.
- Meanwhile, soak your clay pot in cold water if it was used before for 20 to 30 minutes, otherwise it has to be soaked overnight if it wasn’t never used . (The use of a regular roasting pan can be used pre-heating your oven before as usual).
- Place pork with juices from the marinate into the clay pot. Insert into a cold oven in the middle rack .Set your oven to 385 grades Fahrenheit.
- Roast for 4 to 5 hours. Insert thermometer in the center and check for 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Pork should be fork tender.
- Remove heavy, clay pot from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- The magic of cooking in a natural clay pot, is that meat becomes extremely tender, caramelized top with an exceptional juicy meat. Serve next to fried plantains(Maduros)see recipe below, black beans(see recipe on my site under Venezuelan Pabellon criollo), and white rice. Enjoy!
Fried Plantains (Maduros)
- Heat 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Peel 2 ripe plantains in an angle, 3/4 inches thick.
- Brown plantains for about 2 minutes in both sides until golden brown.
- Remove and place over paper towel to drain oil excess.
- Serve warm, cold or at room temperature.