Ingredients for Mashed Potato
4-5 Large potatoes peeled, diced
2 Tablespoon butter
1/2 Cup nonfat milk
1 teaspoon salt + 1 Tablespoon for boiling water
Meat Filling Ingredients
1 Pound ground lean beef (16 oz.)
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 Onion, small diced
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon dried basil
¼ Cup pine nuts (optional)
Salt and pepper TT (to taste)
Note: For Topping:
No bread crumbs topping. It’s healthier, but it could be used.
Mashed Potato Preparation
1. Peel potatoes and cut in large even peaces.
2. Bring about 1 liter of cold water to boil. Add one tablespoon of salt to water.Add diced potatoes.
3. Simmer gently until potatoes are fork-tender for about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Mash potatoes and add butter, salt, and milk. Mash all together.
5. Set aside.
Meat Filling Preparation
1. In a large pan over medium heat add butter and olive oil.
2. Add onions and satee until soft for about 2 minutes.
3. Add ground beef and stir to combine with onions till meat is cooked completely.
4. Seasoned with nutmeg, cinnamon, dried basil, salt and pepper. If you are using pine nuts, toast them till golden brown over the stove in a pan and then add to the meat and onions mix.
5. Layer half of mashed potatoe on greased pan. Spread meat filling over.
6. Cover with remaining mash potatoes. To decorate with the back of a fork deeped in water to stamp your design.
7. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 grades Fahrenheit .
8. Broil for another 3 to 5 minutes till top is golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!