2-3 large eggplants
4 Tablespoon of Tahini (sesame paste)
1 whole pomegranate fruit
2 Tablespoon of fresh pomegranate juice
1 1/2 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
zest of a lemon
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup minced parsley, for garnish
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Grill eggplants over open gas grill, lightly charred the skin for a tasty smoky flavor. Keep turning them until soft from inside. Set aside to cool. (you can also roast them in the oven, placing them first under the broiler for about 5 to 7 minutes and then bake at 400 grades Fahrenheit until flesh is softened and can be removed easily).
- Peel some of the eggplants skin and gently remove seeds with a spoon. Cut into small cubes.
- Cut pomegranate fruit in half, remove seeds with your hands or spoon. Clean seeds well from the white skin.
- Set aside some pomegranate seeds for garnish.
- Use a sifter to strain out juice from pomegranate seeds with your hands.
- Place grilled eggplants into a glass bowl or smashed them over a wooden mortar. Add minced garlic, salt and paprika. Combine all ingredients.
- Add tahini paste, pomegranate juice, zest and juice of the lemon. Mix all until dip is smooth but with a little chunky texture from the eggplant. It can also be placed in food processor until mixture is smooth (I prefer the handmade one).
- Garnish with parsley and pomegranate seeds. Enjoy with pita chips as an appetizer, snack or as a side dish next to your grilled beef or chicken kebab. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on top before eating it. Yum!