Ingredients for the Dough
4 cups All-purpose flour
3 Tablespoon Olive oil
1 Tablespoon of sugar
1 package of dry active yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 – 1/2 cups of warm water to touch
Note: I used my Organic Yeast (starter) made at home (Recipe in my site)
- Using a stand mixer with the hook fitted, incorporate flour and add dry active yeast dissolve into 1/2 cup of warm water with 1 Tablespoon of sugar. Stir and let yeast to bubble for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use a large bowl and combine flour with salt. Incorporate into the yeast. Add olive oil and at medium speed allow the stand mixer to run until dough starts to come together.
- Start by adding 1/2 to 1 cup of warm water slowly to the flour mixture until dough is well combined. Remove from machine and knead over a floured surface for 2 to 3 minutes until dough is elastic and smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl greased with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and place it into a dry place in your kitchen ( next to warm oven). Let it rise for 2 hours until double in size.
Pumpkin Fatayer (Pie)Filling:
2 Pounds pumpkin, peeled and cut into cubes
1/2 pound of meat, cut into cubes
2 Tablespoon butter
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg freshly ground
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Making Pumpkin Filling:
- Sate in a large skillet at medium heat diced onions in butter for about 2 minutes. Add diced fresh uncooked pumpkin. Stir well.
- Seasoned with salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add meat and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes. Don’t over cook them as the pumpkin and meat will continue to cook in the oven. Set aside.
Assembling/Baking Pumpkin Fatayer (Pies)
- Preheat oven to 375 grades Fahrenheit.
- Make dough into small size ball with your hands. Place them over a floured surface. Cover with a dry towel.
- Roll each dough size ball using a rolling pin approximately of 4 inches and 1/4 inches of thickness over a floured surface.
- Take one full Tablespoon of the pumpkin filling and place it in the center of extended dough leaving the edges clean.
- Bring up two sides and pinch dough together. Take other two sides and pinch again joining in the center to close all sides. Repeat process for all pies.
- Place fatayer over a greased sheet pan with vegetable oil. Bake at 375 grades Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes in the middle rack of oven.
- Bake until bottom are golden brown and tops slightly turning brown.
- Remove from oven and transfer fatayer (pies) to a metal rack to cool completely.
- Fatayer can be placed in the fridge for about 2 to 4 days or keep in the freezer in an airtight container wrapped in parchment paper. They can last up to a month or more.
- Enjoy at any time!